Monday, July 12, 2010

"My Life in France"

I have just completed Julia Child's autobiography entitled My Life in France.



As usual, this book only spurred my Parisian obsession. I also enjoyed reading about her other living adventures in Marseille and Oslo. But oh Lord, do not even get me started on her travels to Rouen and Florence! (Seriously, it's quite possible that I lived in France in the 40s in a past life as all signs point that way.)

As my aunt reminded me multiple times during our most recent trip to France, Julia Child fell in love with French cooking during her first meal as a French "resident." That meal consisted of sole meuniere, amongst other courses. Conveniently enough, when my aunt, mother, and I went to France last fall, my aunt's first meal was also sole meuniere. Julia said it was a life altering meal and Ann figured it would be the same for her. Somehow I don't think it impressed Ann all that much but she enjoyed the experience nonetheless.

In the really fancy/authentic French restaurants, the sole meuniere is brought out in the skillet in which it was prepared. The maƮtre d' then removes the meat of the fish from the bones in one swift motion. It's quite impressive and very French.



(Here is an article from Julia's book about her experience with sole meuniere.)

A majority of the book concentrated on cooking, obviously. Julia shared of her travels with her husband Paul, the creation of multiple cook books (her first two with Simone Beck, pictured below), and her unexpected TV popularity in America. The thing that I loved the most about Julia was that she made no excuses for who she was. She was Julia McWilliams Child at all times, regardless of which country she was in. She made every effort to get to know the city and the people in the city in which she lived. Julia was not the typical American tourist; she actually made an effort to understand her surroundings. So much so that she learned to speak French and German. (A woman after my own heart!)



Julia spent a painstaking amount of time researching and editing recipes for her book. It really was a work of love, and as an avid chef and baker, I am so appreciative of her work. While Simone did contribute a lot of recipes to the book, it was Julia who took the time to edit and compose chapters, research ingredients found in America that were comparable to French ingredients, correspond with publishers, etc. She met with local chefs, bakers, butchers, etc. to figure out the best methods for housewives to use, which pots and pans to suggest, which cuts of meat to purchase, and the like. This book really was one of a kind! She set the bar high and I do feel as though it has yet to be touched.

In closing, here are two of my favorite photos from Julia's book. To me, these pictures typify French living during the 40s/50s. I so wish I could have been a friend of Julia's back then! Perhaps I was in my previous life...

No comments:

Post a Comment