Thursday, July 15, 2010

Cruel Intentions

One of my all time favorite movies from the late 90's/early 2000's is Cruel Intentions. This movie stars Ryan Phillippe, Sara Michelle Gellar, and Reese Witherspoon.



At the time that this movie was made, most of the actors were fairly unknown. Well, except for maybe SMG as she was on WB's Buffy, the Vampire Slayer which Megan forced me to watch almost daily while in college...

I saw this movie once in high school and didn't watch it again until I came to college. I started dating this guy the summer between my freshman and sophomore years and we watched this movie almost weekly. We were on and off for 3 years and this movie was a constant during whatever our relationship was. I think the DVD wore out its welcome during that relationship because I have only watched it maybe 3 times since graduation. If the movie is on TV, however, I must stop all that I am doing to watch it. I don't know what the appeal is for me - the scandal in the movie or the time in my life during which I fell in love with the story. Regardless, it's nice to escape the real world that is my life, even if only for a couple of hours.

After seeing this movie for the 100th time, I found out that in real life, Reese had actually been pregnant with Ryan's child during filming. (Of course, by the time this information was brought to my attention, they were already married with another child on the way.) In some scenes, you can definitely tell that she's a little heavier than in others. I wonder if that's why she was in a one piece bathing suit during the pool scene?

At the end of the movie, Reese Witherspoon's character is driving Ryan Phillippe's character's old roadster and "Bittersweet Symphony" (performed by The Verve) is playing. Every time I hear this song, regardless of place and time, I'm always taken back to that scene. I like to pretend that it's me driving an old convertible through the French countryside.

Sure, call me a dork. But one day when it happens, you'll be begging for a ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment