Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Calling all [Sports] Freaks...

I have always been a huge sports fanatic. Growing up, I played basketball year round. I played during a time when women's basketball was insanely popular - Pat Summitt and her girls were leading the pack at Tennessee, Lisa Leslie was kicking butt in the Olympics, etc. - yet we lacked a professional league in the States. And then the WNBA was created and women jocks everywhere were happy (myself included). While I never even imagined myself going pro in basketball, it always has been and always will be my favorite sport to watch. Ever.

It surprised me today when I stumbled upon this article on ESPN.com. For as long as the WNBA has existed, the Mystics have been horrible. Well, not horrible, but they certainly weren't the LA Sparks. I've been out of the WNBA loop for a couple of years now but I blame that on my hectic work schedule (hence my love for ESPN.com). I'm so glad that not only are the Mystics doing well this season, but that they are also on the "front" page of ESPN.com. Way to go, girls!

Since I was old enough to remember the players during the inaugural season of the WNBA, it's been really neat watching their careers take off. One lucky lady, Cynthia Cooper-Dyke, has even made her way down to Wilmington as the head coach for my alma mater! Now I actually have a reason to go watch the women's basketball games, instead of just accidentally stumbling upon them while on campus. My fingers are crossed that she can undo the past 10 years!

Growing up in D.C. allowed me the opportunity to see many a sporting event and for that I am truly grateful. I love love love live sporting events! When I'm sitting court/ringside, there is not a sport that doesn't interest me. Wrestling, boxing, baseball, basketball, volleyball, badminton, ping pong - you name it and I'll watch it. If it's bloody, that's even better!

One day, I will learn how to curl.

No comments:

Post a Comment