Tuesday, June 15, 2010

the truth hurts, but so does getting hit in the face

Those I see on a daily basis should know me well enough by now to know that if you ask me a question, I will answer with the absolute honest truth. If you're feeling sensitive that day, please don't ask me if you look fat. Because I will tell you the truth. Well, I won't say that you're fat, but I might say something like, "You look a few pounds heavier in that outfit."

Sometimes I sugar coat the truth, and sometimes I don't. Just know that you're going to get the truth out of my mouth in one form or the other. (I'm like those Almond Joy and Mounds commercials - "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't!")

God forbid someone needs an honest opinion during a day when I'm in a horrible mood. Not only will they receive the truth, but they will receive it under my evil wrath. I'm sorry, but I just can't help but release words from my mouth that drip with attitude (and sometimes disdain) when I'm in a horrid mood. Y'all should know this by now!

Now I know the old saying goes something like, "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all." But that's just not how I was raised. Yes, that phrase was thrown out once every blue moon, but it wasn't overused in my household like it was at my friends'. I was raised to always speak my mind but to keep my lips sealed during inappropriate times. I was raised to not interrupt a conversation (especially not an adult conversation), to say "yes/no ma'am/sir," to say "please" and "thank you," and to shake hands correctly (and not like a dead fish).

So I'm really confused as to why some [weird] people don't like me (not that I care) - they say I'm too harsh or abrasive. Would you rather me lie to your face!??! That's not what I consider a friend. Call me crazy, but maybe I was given a different friendship manual growing up. In my manual, it says that YOU are crazy if you think I'd ever want to be friends with someone who is what I like to call "fake nice."

And that, my friends, is my truth telling in a nutshell. So, if I hurt your feelings, please don't take it personally. If I want to hurt your feelings, you'll know. Nine times out of ten, I'm just telling you the truth and it is being misinterpreted. Please don't cry - I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment