Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Julie and Julia and my Parisian Obsession



Anyone who knows me knows of my love for anything and everything having to do with Paris. Movies, therefore, should be no exception. Movies about Paris, in fact, are probably THE worst punishment I bring upon myself. These movies are the biggest reminder that I must reside in the good ol' ewe-ess-of-ay because this is where my job resides. (Speaking of... does anyone know of any companies in Europe that are hiring?! Or maybe an American company that will allow me to telecommute from Europe?!)

I was at the Redbox a couple of months ago, paging through movies that I haven't yet seen, when I stumbled upon Julie & Julia. For some reason, I never got around to seeing this movie in the theater, and still I was DYING to see it (I blame it on work). When I saw it at the RB, I just knew that little red box containing the delightment that is Julie & Julia had to make it's way over the bridge to Wrightsville Beach. And so, it did... and I was enamored from the very first second. (I have probably failed to mention that not only do I adore Paris, but I adore cooking and eating (and always have). I also adore movies that take place in an era other than that in which I am currently living, specifically the 1940s and 1950s.)

I don't know what it is about this movie that encapsulates Paris and all that it entails, but it's good enough for me! There aren't that many scenes where Julia is out and about in the city of Paris itself (Julie never actually leaves NYC in this movie), but something about her experiences while living and learning to cook in Paris emulates a native Parisian's lifestyle. Wouldn't it be lovely to live in Europe and do nothing but attempt to blend in? (When does my flight leave?!)

Needless to say, a few months after the initial viewing, when I saw that Julie & Julia was on sale at the Target for 7$, I had to purchase it. I am watching it now and my heart is breaking, mainly because I am not in Paris.

Did I also mention that I just returned from Paris in mid-October?! Maybe I need to see a therapist about this obsession... or maybe I really should just move there instead...

P.S. - Jane Lynch is also in this movie and I adore her! I shall save my love of Glee for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment